Professional athletes: they’re cooler than cool. Revered by amateurs around the world and hailed as celebrities by sports super fans, America can’t get enough of professional athletes. And why not? These are individuals who have spent their entire lives training to become the very best at the sport they love.
But what you might not know is that many of your favorite athletes are pros at more than just their sport of choice — many are also bilingual. In our eyes, that makes these ultra-cool athletes even more admirable. The athletes we’ve rounded up below use their range of language skills to reach more fans, give back to communities in need, and show respect for their fellow competitors. Sigh. Some people really can do it all.
1. Tennis superstar Serena Williams is multilingual
2. Former NFL quarterback Tim Tebow speaks Tagalog
3. Professional baseball player Caleb Joseph speaks Spanish
4. American football player Pierre Garçon speaks HaitianCreole
5. Olympic gymnast Gabby Douglas speaks Hebrew
6. Professional basketball player Mike Muscala speaks Spanish
Know of any other multilingual athletes? Let us know in the comments below!